Ep6 - Albanian Pita with Beetroot Hummus
Team:Gianni & Zanna
Toasted crushed pistachios and finely chopped dill, to garnish
3 medium beetroots
400g can chickpeas, drained, rinsed
1 lemon, juiced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 tbs tahini
1 tsp salt
½tsp smoked paprika
¼tsp chilli flakes
250g plain flour, plus extra, to dust
100g butter, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
150g Bulgarian feta cheese, crumbled
100g plain yoghurt
- To make hummus, preheat oven to 180C. Enclose each beetroot in a piece of foil and roast for 1 hour or until tender.
- Meanwhile, grease a 20cm square cake pan.
- To make pastry, place flour, salt and 125ml (½cup) water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Knead until combined and a dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Divide dough into 30 portions. Using a rolling pin, roll out each dough portion into a 2mm-thick circle. Stack 15 circles on top of each other, brushing with melted butter in between. Repeat with remaining circles and butter.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out each circle stack into a rectangle, large enough to line base and sides of prepared pan, leaving 3cm overhanging. Place one pastry sheet in pan.
- To make filling, stir all ingredients in a large bowl until combined. Season with pepper.
- Pour filling over pastry. Top with second pastry sheet. Fold in sides. Using a fork, crimp edges to seal. Brush top with remaining butter.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until pastry is crisp and golden. Set aside for 15 minutes to cool. Carefully turn out onto a board. Using scissors, cut into 10 rectangles.
- To continue making hummus, peel roasted beetroot and coarsely chop. Place in a food processor with remaining ingredients and process until smooth and combined. Season with pepper.
- Divide pita slices among serving plates. Add a spoonful of hummus to each plate. Garnish hummus with pistachios and dill to serve.