Ep48 - Grilled King Prawns with Balado and Quail Egg
Team Name: Tasia & Gracia
Prep: 1hour 30mins
12 king prawns, peeled, tails intact (6 heads reserved)
1 tbs peanut oil
4 quail eggs, soft boiled
Deep fried sliced garlic and micro herbs, to garnish
Lime wedges, to serve
6 reserved prawn heads
100ml peanut oil
KAFFIR LIME CHILLI SAUCE (BALADO)
5 long red chillies, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
Finely grated zest of 1 lime
4 cloves, garlic, chopped
2 green spring onions, chopped
2 tbs grated palm sugar
1 tbs peanut oil
1 stick lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
10 kaffir lime leaves, central stalk removed, finely sliced
1 tsp shrimp paste
BEAN SPROUT STIR FRY
2 tsp peanut oil
2 garlic cloves, crushed
½ eschallot, finely chopped
2 cups beansprouts
½ bunch garlic chives
2 tbs Shaoxing wine
- To make prawn oil, place prawn heads and oil in a small saucepan over lowest heat. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool and infuse. Strain.
- To make balado, process chillies, tomato, lime zest, garlic, spring onions and sugar until finely chopped.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium heat. Cook lemongrass and lime leaves until soft and fragrant, add shrimp paste and cook for 1 minute. Add chilli mixture and cook until soft, thick and reduced. Blend until smooth.
- To make stir fry, heat oil in a hot wok over high heat. Stir fry garlic and eschallot until golden. Add beansprouts, garlic chives and wine. Stir fry for 1 minute. Season with salt and white pepper.
- Toss prawns with oil and season with salt and white pepper.
- Heat a chargrill over high heat until smoking. Cook prawns, tossing, until just cooked through.
- Serve prawns and balado sauce with sot boiled quails eggs. Garnish with deep fried garlic and micro herbs. Drizzle with prawn oil. Serve with lime wedges.
- To soft boiled quail eggs, place them in boiling water for 2 ½ minutes. Transfer to a bowl of iced water.