Ep48 - Chocolate, Cherry & Coconut
Team Name: Carmine & Lauren
Prep: 2hours + Freezing
200g dark chocolate, melted
300g drained morello cherries (juice reserved for compote)
100g golden caster sugar
2 egg whites
200g dark chocolate, chopped
150g self-raising flour
220g brown sugar
½ cup cocoa powder
50g egg whites
25g caster sugar
50g almond meal
100g icing sugar
1 tbs desiccated coconut
1 tsp coconut extract
COCONUT BISCUIT CRUMB
80g butter, at room temperature,
60g raw caster sugar
1 egg yolk
90g self-raising flour
40g desiccated coconut
20g shredded coconut
2 cups fresh pitted cherries
125ml of reserved morello cherry juice
1 tbs cherry flavoured liqueur
- To make sorbet, blend cherries to form a smooth puree.
- Transfer puree to a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment. Add sugar and egg whites. Whisk on high for 8-10 minutes until very thick and doubled in volume.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease an 30cm x 20cm cake pan.
- Melt butter and chocolate in saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk eggs and buttermilk in a jug.
- Sift combined flour, sugar and cocoa into a large. Stir in egg mixture. Stir in chocolate mixture. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Once cool, cut out 9cm rounds.
- To make macarons, whisk egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy. With motor operating, gradually whisk in sugar until mixture is stiff and glossy. Stir in combined almond meal, icing sugar and coconut.
- Pipe mixture onto a macaron mat and set aside for about 40 minutes to allow macaron to form a skin.
- Preheat oven to 150C.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- To make biscuit crumb, beat butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Beat in egg. Stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until firm.
- Increase oven temperature to 180C.
- Coarsely crumble mixture onto an oven tray in a thin layer. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Brush 8cm diameter half sphere silicone moulds with melted chocolate and refrigerate until firm. Repeat to form a double layer of chocolate. Carefully remove from moulds.
- To make cherry compote, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until thickened and slightly broken down. Refrigerate until cold.
- Serve cake, sorbet and crumb with compote, chocolate shell and macarons.
- To show technical skill and to make our moulded chocolate shiny, crisp and easy to work with, we tempered it.