Ep45 - Burek Cigars with Figs & Goat's Cheese
Team: Gianni & Zana
Prep: 1 hour +4 Resting
Cook: 40 mins
4 cups picked watercress
2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp lemon juice
120g packet goats cheese, at room temperature
8 tbs hummus
Toasted pine nuts, to garnish
500g plain flour
2 tsp salt
1 tbs vegetable oil
1 tbs lemon juice
Extra vegetable oil, to drizzle
125g butter, melted
1 tbs olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
500g beef mince
2 tbs sweet Paprika
4 tbs rosemary leaves, chopped
1 small potato, boiled and diced
½ cup finely chopped parsley
1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
4 figs, quartered
2 tsp olive oil
- To make burek pastry, combine flour, salt, egg, oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Add enough warm water to form a soft dough. Knead until smooth.
- Divide into eight portions and place in a shallow dish. Drizzle with oil to coat all over. Set aside in a warm place to rest for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile to make filling, heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft. Stir in mince, paprika and rosemary. Cook until browned. Season. Stir in potato, parsley and nuts. Set aside to cool.
- To continue making burek, roll each dough portion into a 12cm x 25cm rectangle. Stack one on top of the other, brushing with butter in between layers.
- Roll out layered dough until 2mm thick and brush with butter again. Cut into four portions. Divide a quarter of the filling among each portion, spooning it along short edge. Roll to enclose and form a scroll. Cut into 8cm lengths.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Place burek on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Brush with butter again.
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Place fig quarters on an oven tray. Drizzle with oil and season with pepper.
- Roast for 5 minutes or until tender.
- Toss watercress with oil and lemon juice and arrange on serving plates. Top with goats cheese, hummus, burek and figs. Sprinkle with pine nuts.
- If you are time poor, try making these delicious burek with ready made filo pastry.