Ep42 - Poached Meringue in Orange Scented Custard with Pistachio Praline
Team: Mitch & Laura
Cook: 1hour 20mins
Orange segments and raspberries, to serve
CANDIED ORANGE ZEST
200g caster sugar
1 cup shelled pistachios
220g caster sugar
ORANGE SCENTED CUSTARD
300ml thickened cream
finely grated zest of 2 oranges
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
5 egg yolks
75g caster sugar
4 egg whites
220g caster sugar
- To make candied orange zest, using a vegetable peeler, thinly peel skin from orange and cut into thin strips (alternatively use a zester).
- Place in a small saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Drain. Place sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat and stir, without boiling, for 8-10 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Add zest strips and simmer over lowest heat for about 30 minutes or until translucent. Drain and trasnfer to a rack to cool.
- To make praline, line an oven tray with baking paper. Spread nuts on tray in a single layer.
- Stir sugar and water in a medium heavy-based saucepan, without boiling, until sugar dissolves. Use a wet pastry brush to brush down any stray sugar crystals on side of pan. Bring mixture to a boil. Boil, without stirring, until golden brown.
- Carefully pour caramel over nuts on prepared tray. Cool until set. Break into pieces. Process until coarsely chopped.
- To make custard, stir milk, cream, orange zest, vanilla beans and seeds in a heavy-based saucepan over lowest heat, without boiling, until hot. Remove from heat and set aside for 30 minutes to cool and infuse.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a clean saucepan and heat over low heat until hot.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until combined. Gradually whisk hot milk into yolk mixture. Return mixture to same pan. Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium-low heat, for about 5 minutes or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- To make meringue, beat egg whites with an electric mixer to form soft peaks. Gradually add sugar, beating until mixture is thick and glossy and sugar has dissolved. Spoon into a silicone loaf pan.
- Place loaf mould in a baking dish. Add enough boiling water to come half way up side of mould.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until meringue is set and firm to touch. Remove from water bath and cool completely. Invert cooled meringue onto a tray and cut into thick slices.
- Serve poached meringue with custard, praline, candied zest, orange segments and raspberries.
- Infuse milk and cream with orange and vanilla overnight for an extra intense flavour.
- If preferred, you could make the meringue in small individual silicone moulds.