Ep39 - Apple Crumble Tart with Cinnamon Ice Cream
Team: Carmine & Lauren
Recipe: Apple Crumble Tart with Cinnamon Ice Cream
Prep: 40 mins (+4 hours freezing)
Cook: 1 hour
100g caster sugar
4 granny smith apples, peeled, cut into wedges
1 pinch of salt
375ml (1½ cups) thickened cream
4 cinnamon quills, smashed
1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
6 egg yolks
165g (¾ cup) caster sugar
125ml (½ cup) buttermilk
250g plain flour
100g icing sugar
150g cold unsalted butter, diced
35g (¼ cup) plain flour
500ml (2 cups) milk
75g (1/3 cup) caster sugar
2 tbs caster sugar
2 tbs almond meal
35g (¼ cup) plain flour
2 tbs flaked almonds
- To make ice-cream, place cream, cinnamon and vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan and bring almost to the boil.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until well combined, then whisking continuously, gradually add hot milk mixture to yolk mixture and whisk gently to combine.
- Transfer to a clean saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon; don’t boil mixture. Whisk in buttermilk.
- Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place in a sink one-third full with iced water and cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Churn in an ice-cream maker until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 4 hours or until very firm.
- Meanwhile, to make pastry, sift combined flour and icing sugar into a food processor. Add butter and process until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add egg. Process until mixture just comes together.
- Shape into a disc and enclose in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make crème pâtissière, using an electric mixer, beat eggs and flour until smooth and combined.
- Whisk milk and sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot. Whisk in egg mixture. Cook, stirring, until thickened. Pass through a sieve and into a bowl. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- Roll out pastry between two sheets baking paper until 4mm thick. Use to line 6 x 11cm round fluted tart tins with removable bases.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cover pastry with baking paper and fill with dried beans or rice. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove beans and paper and bake for a further 5 minutes or until base is dry. Cool completely.
- Stir butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat until smooth and combined. Simmer for 5-6 minutes or until dark golden. Stir in apples, salt and 2 tbs water. Transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until caramelised, softened and gold brown. Set aside to cool.
- To make crumble, process all ingredients, except almonds, in a food processor until coarsely combined. Stir in almonds. Spread out on an oven tray in a thin layer. Bake, tossing halfway, for 10 minutes or until crisp and golden. Set aside to cool.
- Spoon or pipe crème pâtissière into tart cases. Top with apples, then crumble. Serve with a scoop of ice-cream to the side.