Ep38 - Pan Seared Duck Breast with Turnips, Apple and Miso
Recipe:Pan Seared Duck Breast with Turnips, Apple and Miso
4 duck breasts, skin lightly scored
Watercress sprigs and sliced radish, to serve
JAPANESE SPICE POWDER
¼orange, thinly sliced peel
2 tbs ground chilli powder
2 tbs toasted black and white sesame seeds
3 dried shitake mushrooms
1 tsp poppy seeds
1 tsp pink peppercorn
1 tsp ground ginger
1 nori sheet, chopped
TURNIPS & CUCUMBER PICKLE
1 orange, juiced
125ml (½cup) apple juice
125ml (½cup) apple cider vinegar
2 baby white turnips, thinly sliced
2 baby picnics turnips, thinly sliced
1 small Lebanese cucumber, cut into 1cm pieces
MISO APPLE SAUCE
2 tbs white miso paste
2 tbs mirin
2 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs caster sugar
2 tbs grated apple
¼cup finely diced apple
2/3 cup dried black fungus mushroom
12 button mushrooms, halved
6 shitake mushrooms, stems trimmed, quartered
2cm-piece ginger, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- To make Japanese spice powder, dry fry orange peel over medium heat for 2 minutes or until dry and fragrant. Cool. Place in a small food processor with remaining ingredients. Process until finely ground. Season with salt.
- To make pickle, stir juices and vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat. Stir in turnips and cucumber and set aside to cool completely.
- To make miso apple sauce, whisk miso, mirin, lemon juice and sugar in a bowl until smooth and combined. Season with pepper. Stir in apple.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Season duck all over and place, skin-side down, in a cold ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until skin is crisp and golden.
- Transfer to oven and cook for 7 minutes. Transfer to a warm plate for 5 minutes to rest. Reserve pan and juices.
- To prepare mushrooms, soak black fungus in hot water for 10 minutes or until soft. Thinly slice.
- Add black fungus, mushrooms, ginger and garlic to reserved pan and stir-fry until tender and golden. Season.
- Spread miso sauce over serving plates. Top with sliced duck, pickled vegetables and mushrooms. Sprinkle with Japanese spice. Garnish with watercress and radish to serve.