Ep28 - White Bean Stew with Balkan Sausage
Team:Gianni & Zana
Prep:40 mins (+1½hours proving)
1 tbs olive oil
2 onions, finely chopped
2 long red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
4 sujuk (spicy Balkan sausage), sliced
1kg smoked beef ribs
500g ham hocks
6 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbs sweet paprika
1 tbs smoked paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes
500g (2½cups) dried cannellini beans, washed
2½litres (10 cups) unsalted vegetable stock
Salt and pepper, to season
1 tsp yeast
1 tsp caster sugar
250g plain flour
25g cold butter
1 long red chilli, finely chopped
1 cup bunch flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 lemon, zested, juiced
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat. Add onion and chilli and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add sausage and ribs. Cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients, then season. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered and stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until beans and ribs are tender and stew is thickened. Add water during cooking, if necessary.
- Meanwhile, to make bread, stir yeast, sugar and 125ml (½cup) tepid water in a small bowl. Set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes or until frothy.
- Sift combined flour and salt onto a work bench. Make a well in centre and add yeast mixture. Using your fingers, gradually bring flour into centre to combine mixture and form a dough. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large lightly oiled bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- To make gremolata, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season.
- Preheat oven to 200C and grease an oven tray.
- Punch dough down, then lightly knead. Transfer to prepared tray. Using a 2cm-thick rectangular shape, flatten out dough. Lightly cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for a further 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove from tray and transfer to a rack to cool. Rub butter all over top of hot bread.
- Remove stew from heat. Remove ham hocks and ribs and shred meat. Thickly slice.
- Remove a quarter of the white beans and sauce and mash. Return meat and mashed beans to stew.
- Divide stew among serving bowls and garnish with gremolata. Serve with bread to the side.