Ep28 - Montenegrin Pizzette with Caramelised Onion & Goat's Cheese
Team:Gianni & Zana
Prep:1 hour (+1 hour proving)
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
100g goats cheese, crumbled
Basil leaves, to garnish
750g (5 cups) plain flour, plus extra, to dust
7g sachet dried yeast
1½tsp caster sugar
80ml (1/3 cup) olive oil
4 garlic cloves, skin on
250g (1 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
1 tbs lemon juice
1 tbs olive oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
2 red capsicums, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 long red chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
1 tbs fresh rosemary leaves
12 Kalamata olives
100g baby spinach leaves
- To make dough, sift combined flour, yeast and sugar into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. With the motor running, gradually add combined oil and 375ml (1½cups) warm water until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and stand, covered with a tea towel, in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, to make yoghurt sauce, preheat oven to 180C. Wrap garlic in foil and bake for 30 minutes or until soft. Squeeze out of skins and combine with remaining ingredients. Refrigerate until required.
- To make topping, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in capsicum, garlic, chilli and herbs. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, for a further 25-30 minutes or until lightly caramelised and very soft. Stir in olives and spinach.
- Punch down dough and knead for a further 5 minutes. Divide into 8 portions.
- Using your fingers, lightly stretch dough into 4-5mm-thick, 12-14cm rounds.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 170C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 15 seconds). Gently drop a round into the oil and fry, turning halfway, for 4 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Repeat with remaining rounds.
- Divide crispy dough bases among serving plates. Top with yoghurt sauce and then caramelised onion mixture. Sprinkle with goats cheese and garnish with basil to serve.