Ep25 - Spinach & Ricotta Rotolo
Team:Carime & Lauren
Cook:1 hour 30 mins
6 fresh lasagne sheets
100g buffalo mozzarella, chopped
100g grated parmesan, extra
basil leaves, to garnish
1 tbs olive oil(
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 bay leaves
400g can crushed tomatoes
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
200g bunch spinach
1 egg, lightly beaten
50g butter, melted
100 grated parmesan (
200g piece smoked ham(
¼tsp ground nutmeg
- To make sauce, heat oil in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions and garlic until soft. Stir in remaining ingredients. Season. Simmer, partially covered, stirring frequently, for about 45 minutes or until thickened and flavoursome. Remove bay leaves.
- To make filling, wash spinach and lightly shake off excess water. Place in a large frying pan over medium heat. Toss until wilted. Cool. Finely chop.
- Mash ricotta until smooth. Stir in egg and butter. Stir in spinach and remaining ingredients. Season with pepper.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place pasta sheets, one at a time, in a frying pan of boiling water for 10 seconds to soften. Drain on a clean tea towel.
- Divide filling into six portions. Spread a portion over half of each pasta sheet, starting at short end. Roll from short end to enclose. Cut in half horizontally to form two rotolo.
- Spread half the sauce over base of a baking dish, just big enough to fit rotolo. Arrange rotolo in a single layer, cut side up, in dish. Pour over remaining sauce. Top with mozzarella and extra parmesan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until hot and mozzarella is melted. Garnish with basil leaves.