Ep22 - Fennel Crusted Pork Belly with Five Spice Pineapple and Cherry Sauce
Team:Alex & Gareth
Prep:30 minsCook:3 hoursServes:4
1kg piece pork belly, skin scored
1 tbs brown sugar
½tsp five-spice powder
2 tsp soy sauce
¼pineapple, cut into 2cm cubes
100g green beans, steamed
1 cup beansprouts
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 tbs lime juice
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs fennel seeds
1 tbs cumin seeds
1 tbs smoked paprika
3 tsp sea-salt flakes, plus extra, to season
1 tbs olive oil
1 eschalot, finely chopped
400g can black cherries
1 pinch of ground cloves
¼tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- To make spice rub, using a mortar and pestle, grind all ingredients to a paste. Rub spice mixture all over pork, then season well with salt. Place pork in a roasting dish and roast for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 160C and cook pork for a further 2½hours or until skin is crisp and meat is tender.
- Meanwhile, to make cherry sauce, heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add eschalot and cook for 2 minutes or until softened. Add remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Simmer, using a wooden spoon to break down cherries, for 10 minutes.
- Place sugar, five-spice and soy sauce in a large, deep non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until sugar dissolves and mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Add pineapple and toss to combine.
- Place green beans, beansprouts, onion, lime juice and sesame oil in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Slice pork and divide among serving plates. Add pineapple and bean mixture to plates and spoon over cheery sauce to serve.