Ep21 - Pan Seared Duck Breast with Baby Beets and Rhubarb Chutney
Team:Hazel & Lisa
Prep:40 minsCook:1 hour 20 minsServes:4
4 baby beetroot
4 baby yellow beetroot
2 tsp olive oil, plus 2 tbs extra
2 tsp white balsamic vinegar
1 bunch baby carrots, trimmed
2 thyme sprigs
3 garlic cloves
4 duck breasts, skin on
Micro herbs, to garnish
220g (1 cup) caster sugar
250grhubarb, trimmed, cut into 1cm pieces
1 orange, zested
2cm-piece fresh ginger, finely grated
Salt and pepper, to season
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- To make chutney, stir sugar and vanilla seeds with 200ml water in a small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Stir in rhubarb and simmer for 5 minutes or until softened. Strain mixture, reserving juice and rhubarb separately. Place juice back in pan and stir in orange zest and ginger. Simmer for a further 5 minutes or until reduced and thickened. Season. Add rhubarb and stir to combine.
- Place beetroot in a small roasting dish. Roast for 30 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and cut into wedges. Drizzle with oil and vinegar. Season.
- Place carrots and thyme in a large piece of foil. Drizzle with extra oil, season and wrap to enclose. Roast for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Season duck skin and place, skin-side down, in a cold frying pan over medium heat.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes or until skin is crisp and golden. Transfer pan to oven and roast for 8 minutes. Transfer to a warm plate for 8 minutes to rest. Slice.
- Divide duck, beetroot and carrots among serving plates. Garnish with micro herbs and serve with chutney to the side.