Ep18 - Spanish Lentils
Team:Tim & Dee
300g brown lentils, rinsed
1 ham hock
1 garlic bulb, papery outer layer removed
1 bunch flat leaf parsley stalks, chopped finely
1 dried bay leaf
2 tbs Spanish extra virgin olive oil
1 medium brown onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 red capsicum, finely chopped
2 tbs smoked paprika
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tomato, diced
2 Spanish chorizo sausages, sliced
700g strong bread flour
7g sachet yeast
425ml tepid water
2 tsp olive oil
- To make bread rolls, sift combined flour, yeast and salt in a bowl. Gradually stir in combined water and oil to form a soft sticky dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and stand, covered with a tea towel, in a warm place for 1 hour. Knock air out of dough and knead for another 10 minutes. Divide into six portions. Roll portions into balls. Place on a tray lined with baking paper, covered with a tea towel, in a warm place for a further 30 minutes.
- 2. Increase oven to 200C. Bake rolls for about 10-15 minutes or until golden, crisp and cooked through.
- To make soup, place lentils, ham hock, garlic bulb, parsley stalks, bay leaf and the water in a large stock pot. Bring to a simmer.
- Heat oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook onion until soft but not coloured. Add carrots and capsicum. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until soft. Stir in paprika and cumin. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir in tomato. Add mixture to lentils.
- Simmer for about 1 hour or until lentils are tender and broth is flavoursome. Remove from heat.
- Remove ham hock. Trim meat off bone and cut into small pieces. Return to soup.
- Cook chorizo in a frying pan over medium heat until lightly browned and caramelised. Stir into soup.
- Garnish soup with parsley. Serve with bread.
- In the show we poached our chorizo in the soup, but here we have fried it to give some caramelisation.