Ep 44 Bree and Jessica: Roasted Peaches with Mascarpone Ice Cream
Prep: 45 mins and churning
Cook: 1 hour
- 4 firm ripe yellow peaches, peeled
- thyme leaves, to garnish
Mascarpone ice cream
- 250ml milk
- 2 vanilla beans, seeds scraped
- 4 egg yolks
- 150g caster sugar
- 500ml mascarpone
- 500ml white wine
- 250ml water
- 110g caster sugar
- 60ml honey
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 50g plain flour
- 1 and 1/2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 30g butter
- 2 tbs flaked almonds
- 2 tbs shredded coconut
- To make ice cream, stir milk and vanilla bean and seeds in a saucepan over medium heat until hot. Remove from heat. Cool slightly. Whisk egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy. Slowly add hot milk mixture, whisking continuously. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over a low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain into a large bowl. Stir in mascarpone. Cool. Refrigerate until cold. Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker. Churn according to manufacturers instructions.
- To make syrup, stir all ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer until reduced by half. Stir in thyme. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 160C.
- Place peaches in a small baking dish and drizzle with strained syrup.
- Roast for about 30 minutes or until just tender, basting and turning halfway through cooking.
- To make streusel, sift combined flour, sugar and spice into a bowl. Rub in butter using your fingertips until mixture resembles crumbs. Stir in almonds and coconut. Spread mixture onto a tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool.
- Serve peaches with streusel, syrup and ice cream. Decorate with thyme leaves.
- You could also use white peaches or nectarines to make this dish.
- We used viognier to make our syrup, but you could use any full bodied fragrant white wine.
- Make sure you serve this dish with a spoon and fork or you could be chasing your peach round the plate.
- Cooking time of peaches will depend on how ripe and firm they are. Check throughout cooking to ensure they cook perfectly.