Ep 42 Chloe and Kelly: Truffled Truffle with Truffle Ice Cream
Prep: 1 hour & chilling + freezing
Cook: 30 mins
- 500ml thickened cream
- 375ml milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 egg yolks
- 110g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8g/1 tbs finely grated black truffle
- 1 tsp black truffle oil
Pear and vanilla coulis
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 125ml water
- 1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored, chopped
White chocolate truffle (makes 8 truffles)
- 120g white chocolate, chopped
- 2 and a 1/2 tbs thickened cream
- 1/4 tsp grated white truffle
- To make ice cream, heat cream, milk and salt in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, without boiling, until hot.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until combined. Gradually whisk hot milk into yolk mixture. Return mixture to same pan. Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium-low heat, for about 5 minutes or until custard is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Strain. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover surface of custard with cling film. Cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until cold. Churn in an ice cream maker according to manufacturers instructions. Freeze.
- To make coulis, stir sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Add pear. Simmer until pear is tender. Drain. Blend or process pear and vanilla seeds until smooth. Pass through a sieve.
- To make white chocolate truffle, line a shallow dish with cling film.
- Place chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- Stir cream and truffle in a saucepan over low heat until hot. Pour over chocolate. Stand 2 minutes. Stir until smooth and combined. Cool. Pour into prepared dish. Refrigerate until firm.
- Line a tray with baking paper. Roll chocolate mixture into walnut size balls. Roll in cocoa. Place on prepared tray. Refrigerate.
- Spread coulis on serving plates. Top with white chocolate truffle and truffle ice cream.
- Truffles have a powerful intense flavour. Adjust the quantities to suit your taste if need be.
- This dessert would work well with the addition of a vanilla sponge or butter cake to add a little texture and balance.
- If fresh truffles are unavailable, you could try using a truffle paste.