Ep 41 Drasko and Bianca: Chocolate Delice with Mandarin Caviar
Prep: 45 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- Freeze-dried mandarin segments, to serve
- 200ml milk
- 250ml thickened cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 30g caster sugar
- 200g dark chocolate 70%, finely chopped
- 100g ground almonds
- 75g caster sugar
- 60g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 70g butter, melted
- 500ml very cold canola oil
- 25g caster sugar
- 25ml water
- 100ml mandarin juice, strained
- 1g (½ tsp) powdered Agar Agar
- 20g freeze dried mandarins
- 2 ½ tbs icing sugar mixture
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp citric acid
- To make chocolate delice, heat milk and half the cream in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, without boiling, until hot.
- Whisk egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until combined. Gradually whisk hot milk mixture into yolk mixture. Return mixture to same pan. Using a wooden spoon, stir over medium-low heat, for about 5 minutes or until mixture forms a custard and is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir until smooth and combined. Strain into a bowl. Cool. Cover surface with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- Beat remaining cream with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add to cold chocolate mixture in two batches, folding gently to combine. Refrigerate, covered, for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 160C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- To make the chocolate soil, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Spread onto prepared tray in a thin layer.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stirring half way through. Cool completely on tray.
- To make mandarin caviar, place canola oil in a tall container in the freezer for 45 minutes or until very cold.
- Stir sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 2 minutes then add the mandarin juice. Sprinkle over agar agar and bring to the boil, whisking continuously.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl and set aside for about 4-5 minutes until the mixture reaches 50C.
- Draw mixture into a syringe and push out small droplets into cold oil. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Remove mandarin caviar balls with a spoon and place in a bowl of cold water to remove the oil. Strain. Place on absorbent paper.
- To make mandarin sherbet, blend all ingredients to form a fine powder. Pass through a fine sieve and set aside.
- To assemble, arrange chocolate soil on serving plates. Sprinkle with mandarin sherbert and top with freeze-dried mandarin segments. Spoon or pipe on chocolate delice. Garnish with edible flowers.
- You will need a large syringe or squeezy bottle to make the mandarin caviar.
- Be as creative as you like in how you arrange the elements on the plate.
- This is a great fun dessert for a dinner party and all elements can be prepared in advance.