Ep 40 Bree and Jessica: Butter Chicken with Red Lentil Dhal and Rice
Prep: 35 mins (+1 hour marinating)
Cook: 1 hour
- 1kg boneless chicken thighs, halved
- 125g ghee
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 125ml (1/2 cup) thickened cream
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- Steamed basmati rice, to serve
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 190g (1/3 cup) yoghurt
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 90g (3/4 cup) ground almonds
- 2cm-piece ginger, grated
- 6 cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tsp garam marsala
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 pinch of saffron threads
Red lentil dhal
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 long green chilli, chopped
- 1 and 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 and 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 and 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 3 curry leaves
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 200g (1 cups) red lentils, rinsed, drained
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 200g grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small bunch coriander, leaves only
- To make marinade, combine all ingredients in a 6-cup capacity baking dish. Add chicken, then rub marinade all over. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to marinate.
- Preheat oven to 180C. Melt ghee in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add to chicken mixture and cover dish tightly with foil. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake for a further 15 minutes or until very tender.
- Meanwhile, to make dhal, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and chilli and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Stir in seeds and spices. Cook for a further 1 minute or until fragrant. Stir in remaining ingredients and 250ml (1 cup) water. Bring to a simmer, then simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes or until lentils are cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Season with salt.
- To make salsa, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season.
- Stir cream and coriander through chicken, then season.
- Divide rice among serving plates and top with chicken and sauce. Spoon dhal and salsa to the side and garnish with coriander to serve.
- If you’re time-poor, cook this curry in a pressure cooker for 30 minutes on high.