Ep 40 Ash and Camilla: Braised Mushrooms with Ricotta Gnocchi
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- Red vein sorrel leaves and micro herbs, to serve
- 80g (1 cup) grated parmesan
- Cayenne pepper, to sprinkle
- 500g ricotta
- 150g (1 cup) ‘00’ pasta flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 40g (½ cup) finely grated parmesan
- 300g assorted mushrooms
- 25g butter
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 4 eschalots, quartered
- 160ml (2/3 cup) white wine
- 40ml white wine vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbs coriander seeds, toasted
- 4 thyme sprigs
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 100ml cream
- ½ cup chopped parsley
King Brown Garnish
- 25g butter
- 1 thyme sprig
- 1 king brown mushroom, thinly sliced lengthways
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- To make parmesan crisps, place parmesan on prepared tray in four 10cm round circles. Sprinkle with cayenne. Bake for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden.
- To make gnocchi, lightly combine all ingredients in a bowl until a soft dough forms. Divide into four portions.
- Lightly roll out each portion until 2cm thick, then cut into 3cm pieces. Set aside.
- To prepare mushrooms, coarsely chop 1/3 of the mushrooms, slice another 1/3 and leave the remaining 1/3 whole.
- Heat butter and oil in a large deep frying pan over medium-high heat. Add eschalot and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until softened. Stir in wine, vinegar, lemon juice, bay leaves, coriander seeds and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until juices have almost evaporated. Stir in cream and parsley, then simmer for 2 minutes or until thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper. Remove bay leaves.
- To make king brown garnish, heat butter and thyme in a small frying pan over medium-high heat. Add mushroom slices and cook for 2 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden. Drain on paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook gnocchi in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 3-4 minutes or until they rise to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and add to braised mushrooms. Toss gently to combine.
- Divide gnocchi and mushrooms among serving plates, then garnish with sorrel and micro herbs. Serve with parmesan crisp to the side.