Ep 38 Paul and Blair: Beef and Prawns with Pickled Vegetables and Nam Jim Sauce
Prep: 1 hour (+20 mins chilling)
Cook: 25 mins
- 400g scotch fillet steaks
- 24 green king prawns, peeled, deveined
- 2 tsp vegetable oil, plus extra, to deep-fry
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- 60ml (1/4 cup) soy sauce
- 60ml (1/4 cup) balsamic vinegar
- 125ml (1/2 cup) vegetable oil
- 1 bird’s-eye chilli, seeded, finely chopped
- 60ml (1/4 cup) honey
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1cm-piece ginger, grated
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 300g (2 cups) ‘00’ pasta flour, plus extra, to dust
- 3 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled, seeded, thinly sliced
- 2 and 1/2 tsp salt
- 100ml rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- 2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 100g enoki mushrooms
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into julienne
- 1cm-piece ginger, cut into julienne
- 3 eschalots, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 coriander roots, chopped
- 6 large green chillies, seeded
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs grated palm sugar
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 2 tbs lime juice
- To make marinade, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Add steaks and rub marinade all over to coat. Cover and set aside for 1 hour to marinate and come to room temperature.
- Meanwhile, to make wonton crisps, process all ingredients with 100ml water until a dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and lightly knead for 5 minutes or until smooth. Enclose in plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes to rest.
- Divide dough into 2 portions. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, flatten 1 portion until 5mm thick and about 12cm wide – nearly the width of your pasta machine. Set your pasta machine at its widest setting, then feed the dough through, narrowing the settings on your machine one notch at a time until you reach the thinnest setting. Repeat with remaining dough. Using a 10cm round cutter, cut out 12 wonton crisps from each dough portion.
- To make pickled vegetables, combine cucumber and salt in a colander. Set aside for 20 minutes.
- Stir vinegar and sugar in a small bowl until sugar dissolves.
- Dry-fry peppercorns in a small frying pan over low heat until fragrant. Cool, then using a mortar and pestle, grind to a powder.
- Place oil and chilli flakes in a large frying pan over low heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from heat and stir in mushroom, capsicum and ginger.
- Rinse cucumber, then drain and pat dry with paper towel. Place in a large bowl. Add vegetable mixture, ground peppercorns and vinegar mixture, then toss to combine.
- To make nam jim, process all ingredients in a small food processor until smooth.
- Heat a large frying pan over high heat. Allow excess marinade to drain from steaks, then add to pan and cook for 3 minutes on each side. Transfer to a warm plate for 5 minutes to rest. Thinly slice steaks.
- Heat a small frying pan over high heat. Combine prawns and oil in a bowl, then season. Add prawns to pan and cook for 1 minute on each side or until just cooked.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 160C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 20 seconds). Working in batches, gently drop wonton crisps into oil and fry, turning halfway, for 2 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Divide pickled vegetables among wonton crisps, then stack with sliced beef and prawns. Spoon over nam jim and garnish with coriander to serve.