Ep 34 Will and Steve: Roast Spatchcock with Bread Sauce and Orange & Ginger Carrots
Prep: 50 mins
Cook: 1 hour 10 mins
- 2 large spatchcocks
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 lemons, thickly sliced
- ½ bunch thyme, plus thyme flowers, to serve
- 1½ tbs olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 250ml (1 cup) dry white wine
- 1 eschalot, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
Orange & Ginger Carrots
- 750ml (3 cups) orange juice
- 1 orange, zested
- ½ bunch of thyme
- 2cm-piece ginger, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 heirloom carrots, peeled, halved lengthways
- 100g sourdough, crusts removed, roughly chopped
- 125g butter
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbs milk powder
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock
- A pinch of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Using kitchen scissors, cut out back bone from spatchcocks. Trim away and reserve wings and any excess fat, skin or bone. Refrigerate spatchcocks until required.
- To make sauce, place all removed bones and trimmings in a flameproof oven dish. Drizzle with 1 tbs of oil. Season with salt and pepper. Roast for 25 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven and place over medium heat. Add wine and simmer for 6-8 minutes or until reduced by half, loosening any crusty bits off base of dish with a wooden spoon.
- Heat remaining oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add eschalot, carrot, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Stir in spatchcock trimmings, wine and juices from dish. Add bay leaf and stock. Simmer, skimming regularly, for 20 minutes or until reduced down to 500ml (2 cups). Strain mixture through a fine sieve, discarding solids.
- To cook carrots, place all ingredients in a large deep frying pan. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes or until carrots are tender. Remove carrots.
- To make bread sauce, place bread on an oven tray and bake for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan over low heat. Add garlic and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in milk powder and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in stock and nutmeg. Add bread and simmer until bread is very soft. Blend mixture until smooth, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place lemon slices on an oven tray in a single layer. Sprinkle over thyme sprigs. Place spatchcock on top, skin-side up, and drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside, lightly covered with foil, for 5 minutes to rest. Cut into portions. Add pan juices to sauce and stir to combine.
- Divide spatchcock among serving plates. Add bread sauce and carrots, then spoon over sauce. Garnish with thyme flowers to serve.