Ep 33 Kat and Andre: Hoisin Beef Steamed Bun with Pickled Radish
Prep: 45 mins (+4 hours marinating and proving)
Cook: 40 mins (+1 hour cooling)
- 500g beef scotch fillet, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Crushed peanuts and sliced red chilli, to serve
- 125ml (½ cup) hoisin sauce
- 60ml (¼ cup) light soy sauce
- 1 tbs Chinese five-spice
- 3cm-piece ginger, grated
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tbs grated palm sugar
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 375g (2½ cups) plain flour, plus extra, to dust
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 8 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 250ml (1 cup) white wine vinegar
- 55g (¼ cup) white sugar
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, seeded, cut into julienne
- 1 carrot, cut into julienne
- 2 spring onions, cut into julienne
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 1 cup Vietnamese mint
- 1 lime, juiced
- To make marinade, stir all ingredients in a bowl until sugar has dissolved. Add beef and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, to make buns, stir yeast, sugar and 50ml warm water in a large bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes or until frothy. Stir in combined oil and 250ml (1 cup) water. Add combined sifted flour and baking powder. Mix until a dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 1 minute or until smooth. Place dough in a greased bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place for 2 hours or until dough doubles in size.
- To make pickled radishes, place vinegar, sugar and 125ml (½ cup) water in a small saucepan and stir until boiling and sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and add radishes. Stand for 1 hour or until cold.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper and line a bamboo steamer with baking paper.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 12 portions. Roll each portion into a 10cm long oval. Gently fold to form a semi circle and place on prepared tray, covering with a damp tea towel. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- To make salad, toss all ingredients in a bowl, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place buns, in batches, in prepared steamer basket over a wok of simmering water. Steam, covered and without touching, for 12 minutes or until cooked through.
- Remove beef from marinade.
- Heat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook beef, in small batches and turning, for 30 seconds or until seared. Transfer to a warm plate in a single layer to rest.
- Divide buns among serving plates and top with beef, salad and pickled radish. Garnish with nuts and chilli to serve.