Ep 31 Kat and Andre: Pork fillet with Orange & Fennel Slaw and Potato Rösti
Prep: 40 mins
Cook: 50 mins
- 800g pork fillet
- 1 tbs olive oil
- ½ bunch coriander stalks, finely chopped
- 1 tbs white wine
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 25g butter, chopped
- 125ml (½ cup) orange juice
- 1½ tbs light soy sauce
- 60ml (¼ cup) light olive oil
- 2cm-piece ginger, finely grated
- 2 tsps finely grated orange zest
- 800g medium potatoes, unpeeled
- 25g butter, melted
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 25g butter
- 2 ripe pears, peeled, chopped
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 500ml (2 cups) dry apple cider
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup finely shredded white cabbage
- 1 large carrot, cut into julienne
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup dill sprigs
- To make dressing, whisk all ingredients in a bowl until combined.
- To make rosti, place potatoes in a saucepan of cold water. Bring to the boil and boil gently for 5 minutes. Drain, then cool and peel.
- Coarsely grate potato into a bowl. Stir in butter and season with salt and pepper. Divide mixture into eight portions. Squeeze out excess moisture and shape each portion into a pattie. Place on a tray in a single layer. Refrigerate until required.
- To make pear puree, melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add pears and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until lightly golden. Stir in cinnamon, then stir in cider. Simmer for 6-8 minutes or until pears are very soft. Transfter pears to a food processor, reserving cider. Process pears until a puree forms.
- To make slaw, place all ingredients in a bowl. Pour over dressing and toss to combine.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place pork in a bowl. Add oil, coriander and wine. Season with salt and pepper, then toss to coat.
- Preheat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Transfer to an oven tray.
- Roast for about 12-15 minutes or until just cooked. Remove from oven and transfer to a warm plate to rest for 5 minutes. Thickly slice.
- Add reserved cider mixture to same pan that pork was cooked in. Simmer for 10 minutes or until reduced by half. Stir in stock and simmer for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in any juices from rested pork, then whisk in butter, one cube at a time, until sauce is glossy. Strain mixture through a fine sieve, discarding solids.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Gently drop rosti into the oil and fry, turning halfway, for 4 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel.
- Spoon pear puree into the centre of each serving plate. Top with slaw, pork and rosti. Spoon over sauce to serve.