Ep 27 Jac and Shaz: Spiced Orange Cakes with Citrus Syrup
Prep: 40 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- 2 limes
- 220g (1 cup) caster sugar
- Lemon segments and toasted slivered almonds, to serve
- 300g caster sugar
- 350ml water
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 2 star anise
- 1½ tbs fennel seeds
- 1 tbs honey
- Peel from 1 orange
- 125g butter, softened
- 165g (¾ cup) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 orange, zested
- 2 tbs orange juice
- 225g (1½ cups) self-raising flour
- 250g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 125g plain Greek yoghurt
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat oven to 180C. Grease 12 holes of a muffin pan (80ml capacity) and line bases with baking paper.
- To make syrup, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Cool, then strain through a fine sieve into a jug.
- Lightly peel limes, being careful not to include any pith. Cut peel into thin strips. Stir zest, sugar and 250ml (1 cup) water in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high and boil, without stirring, for 5 minutes. Pour into a bowl and cool completely. Remove zest strips and place on a tray lined with baking paper to dry. Discard syrup.
- To make cakes, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beating between additions, until combined. Stir in orange zest, orange juice and flour.
- Divide mixture among prepared pan holes. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Using a skewer, lightly pierce holes in cakes. Pour over syrup, then, once cooled, turn out of pan.
- To make cream topping, beat all ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth and combined.
- Spoon topping onto cakes, then decorate with lemon wedges, candied zest and almonds. Serve.