Ep 26 Annie and Lloyd: Miso Salmon with Tempura Mushrooms
Prep: 30 mins (+1 hour marinating)
- 4 x 150g salmon fillets, skin scored
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 24 button mushrooms
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 1 tbs toasted black and white sesame seeds
- Asian micro herbs, to garnish
- 100g (1/3 cup) white miso paste
- 60ml (¼ cup) salt-reduced soy sauce
- 1 tbs honey
- White pepper, to season
Green Tea Salt
- 2 tbs dried green tea leaves
- 40g (¼ cup) flaked sea salt
- 1 large ripe avocado
- 1 tbs lime juice
- 1½ tsp wasabi paste
- 1 egg
- 200g plain flour
- 250ml (1 cup) ice-cold soda water
- To make miso marinade, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Season with white pepper. Add salmon and rub all over. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to marinate.
- To make green tea salt, using a mortar and pestle, grind tea and salt. Pass through a fine sieve to remove large pieces.
- To make avocado puree, process all ingredients in a food processor until combined. Season with salt and pepper, then refrigerate until required.
- To make tempura batter, lightly whisk all ingredients until just combined (the mixture should be a little lumpy, not smooth). Add mushrooms in small batches and toss to coat.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Working in batches, gently drop mushrooms into the oil and fry, turning halfway, for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Season with green tea salt.
- Wipe off excess marinade from salmon and season sin with salt and pepper.
- Preheat a lightly oiled frying pan over medium-high heat. Add salmon and cook, skin side down, for 2 minutes or until crisp. Turn and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until cooked to your liking. Remove from pan and set aside for 3 minutes to rest.
- Divide salmon among serving plates and top with avocado puree and mushrooms. Sprinkle over sesame seeds and garnish with micro herbs to serve.