Ep 25 Ash and Camilla: Chilli Scrambled Eggs with Salmon and Chive Hollandaise
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 25 mins
- 4 x 100g salmon fillets, skin on
- Olive oil, to brush
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- Finely chopped chives and thinly sliced red chilli, to garnish
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 200ml white wine
- 100ml white wine vinegar
- 4 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 eschallot, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 250g butter, clarified
- 2 egg yolks
- lemon juice, to taste
- 12 eggs
- 250ml thickened cream
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 25g butter
- To make hollandaise, place wine, vinegar, peppercorns, bay leaf, eschallot and garlic in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Simmer until reduced by half. Strain and discard solids.
- To clarify butter, melt it over a low heat. Skim away froth from surface. Slowly pour liquid butter into a bowl, holding back the white milk solids in the bottom of the pan. Discard milk solids.
- Place 60ml of the wine reduction in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Add yolks. Whisk until mixture is warm and thickened. Do not overheat or you will scramble the eggs. Gradually whisk in clarified butter until combined and thickened. Season. Add a squeeze of lemon juice to taste.
- To cook salmon, brush fillets all over with oil. Season. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook salmon, skin-side down for about 4 minutes or until skin is golden and crisp. Turn and cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until cooked as desired.
- To scramble eggs, whisk together eggs, cream, parmesan and spices.
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add egg mixture. Cook, stirring gently with a wooden spoon until eggs are just set.
- Brush bread with oil and toast on a chargrill or barbecue.
- Serve salmon, eggs, hollandaise and bread with lemon wedges. Garnish with chives and chilli.
- The key to great scrambled eggs is not to overcook them so that they stay creamy.
- These delicious scrambled eggs yield a generous portion and could serve 6 if desired.
- Exact cooking time of salmon will depend on thickness and size of fillets.