Ep 24 Katie and Nikki: Kick-Ass Apple Pie with Burnt Butter Ice-Cream
Prep: 1 hour (+ freezing)
Cook: 50 mins
Burnt Butter Ice Cream
- 125g salted butter
- 400ml thickened cream
- 225ml milk
- 6 large egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150g plain flour
- 100 cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2-3 tsp iced water
- 2 chai teabags
- 500ml boiling water
- 55g brown sugar
- 4 green apples, peeled, cored, cut into 2cm pieces
- 110g brown sugar
- 30g butter
- 150ml thickened cream
- 25g macamdamia nuts, chopped, roasted
- To make ice cream, melt butter in a small frying pan over medium low heat until dark golden brown.
- Heat cream and milk in a saucepan over medium heat until hot.
- Whisk egg yolks, sugars and salt until pale and creamy. Slowly add hot cream mixture, whisking continuously. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over a low heat until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Stir in brown butter. Strain. Cool. Refrigerate until cold. Churn in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturers instructions.
- To make pastry, process flour and butter to form fine crumbs. Add water, processing until mixture just comes together.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly until smooth. Shape into a disc and cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to rest.
- Meanwhile, to make filling, place teabags, sugar and the water in a medium saucepan. Set aside to infuse for 1 hour. Remove teabags. Add apples and place over a low heat. Bring to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until apples are just tender. Drain apples and set aide.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line four 11cm round fluted loose based tart tins.
- Line tart shells with baking paper and fill with baking beads or rice. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beads. Bake for a about a further 10 minutes or until golden and crisp. Cool completely.
- To make butterscotch sauce, stir sugar, butter and cream over a medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in nuts.
- To assemble, fill tart shells with apples and drizzle with sauce. Serve with burnt butter ice cream.