Ep 23 Uel and Shannelle: Fish Fingers with Roast Potato Salad
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 100g panko breadcrumbs
- 50g finely grated parmesan
- Plain flour, to dust
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 800g skinless ling fillets, cut into 3cm x 8cm pieces
- Olive oil spray, to grease
Mayonnaise (makes 2 cups)
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) grape seed oil
- Salt and pepper, to season
Roast potato salad
- 700g potatoes, diced into 2cm cubes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 125ml (1/2 cup) light olive oil
- 80ml (1/3 cup) apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon mustard
- 250g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, steamed
- To make mayonnaise, process egg yolks, lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, sugar and a pinch of salt in a food processor until well combined. With the motor running, gradually add oil and 100ml hot water, drop by drop at first, then in a thin, steady stream until thick and emulsified. Season with salt and pepper and refrigerate until needed.
- To make roast potato salad, preheat oven to 220C. Place potatoes and garlic on an oven tray in a single layer. Drizzle with 1 tbs of the oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss to combine. Roast, turning halfway, for 15 minutes or until potatoes are golden and crisp.
- Squeeze garlic out of its skin into a bowl. Whisk in remaining oil, vinegar and mustard. Season with salt and pepper, then add potatoes, tomatoes and corn. Toss to combine.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper. Combine breadcrumbs and parmesan in a shallow bowl, then season with salt and pepper. Place flour and eggs in separate shallow bowls. Dust each fish fillet with flour, shake off excess, then dip in egg and coat in breadcrumbs. Place coated fish on prepared tray. Spray with oil.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden, crisp and cooked through.
- Divide fish fingers among serving plates and serve with salad and mayonnaise on the side.
- Any type of firm white fish can be used for this recipe.
- Panko breadcrumbs are available from selected supermarkets and Asian food shops.
- Add ½ cup coriander leaves to the roast potato salad for added flavour.