Ep 23 Eva and Debra: Keralan Fish Moilee with Lemon Rice
Prep: 30 mins (+30 mins marinating)
Cook: 40 mins
- 4 tsp ground turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 800g firm white fish fillets, cut into 6cm pieces
- 4 tbs olive oil
- ½ onion, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, finely chopped
- 4 slices galangal
- 3 long green chillies, seeded, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 270ml coconut milk
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 4 tbs ghee
- 3 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tbs split mung beans
- 3 tbs slivered almonds
- 3 tbs ground ginger
- 3 dried chillies, broken into pieces
- 10 curry leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp asafoetida
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 300g (1½ cups) cooked basmati rice, cooled
- 2-3 lemons, juiced
- ½ cup roughly chopped coriander
- 1 tbs ghee
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2cm-piece ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 8 curry leaves
- Rub 1 tsp of turmeric and salt all over fish. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to marinate.
- Heat 1 tbs of oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Cook fish, in batches, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a large wok over medium heat. Add onion, lemongrass, galangal and remaining turmeric. Cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add chilli, coconut cream and salt. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly bring to a simmer. Add fish, then simmer for 8-10 minutes or until almost cooked through. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Stand for 5 minutes.
- To make lemon rice, heat ghee in a wok over medium heat. Add mustard seeds and fry until it starts to splutter. Add mung beans and almonds and fry until lightly golden.
- Add ginger, chilli, curry leaves, asafoetida, salt and turmeric. Stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add rice and stir to combine. Cook for a further 2 minutes to heat through.
- Remove from heat, then add lemon juice and coriander. Stir to combine.
- To make garnish, heat ghee in a small frying pan. Add mustard seeds and fry until it starts to splutter. Add onion, ginger and garlic, then fry for 8-10 minutes or until softened. Add curry leaves and stir to combine.
- Divide rice among serving plates, then spoon over curry. Sprinkle over garnish to serve.