Ep 21 Jane and Emma: Lemon Friand with Lemon Curd and Blueberries
Prep: 50 mins (+45 mins cooling & freezing)
Cook: 50 mins
- 3 egg yolks
- 100g caster sugar
- 300ml milk
- 250g (1 cup) mascarpone
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- Sifted icing sugar and blueberries, to serve
- 180g unsalted butter
- 250g icing sugar
- 80g plain flour
- 125g almond meal
- 2 lemons, zested, plus 1 tbs lemon juice
- 5 eggwhites
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 lemons, zested, juiced
- 4 eggs
- 340g caster sugar
- 250g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 tbs cornflour
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Place milk, mascarpone, lemon zest and vanilla bean and seeds in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir for 8 minutes or until combined. Remove from heat and discard vanilla bean.
- Gradually whisk milk mixture into egg yolk mixture. Transfer to a clean saucepan over medium heat and stir continuously with a wooden spoon until mixture is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon; don’t boil mixture. Strain through a fine sieve into a bowl. Place in a sink one-third full with iced water and cool, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes. Churn in an ice-cream maker until frozen. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until very firm.
- Preheat oven to 180C and lightly grease a 9-hole friand pan.
- To make friands, place butter in a frying pan over low heat. Cook for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
- Sift icing sugar and flour into a bowl. Stir in almond meal and lemon zest.
- In a clean bowl, whisk eggwhites until frothy; do not over-whisk. Add to icing sugar mixture with melted butter, lemon juice and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Divide mixture among prepared pan holes. Bake for 25 minutes or until light golden and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, to make lemon curd, stir all ingredients in a heavy based saucepan over medium-low heat for 10 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Cool 15 minutes, then refrigerate until cold.
- Place friands on serving plates and dust with icing sugar. Serve with gelato, lemon curd and blueberries.