Ep 21 Helena and Vilki: Pork and Beef Meatballs with Fettuccine and Parmesan Wafers
Prep: 35 mins (+20 mins resting)
Cook: 45 mins
- 25g (1/3 cup) grated parmesan
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 8 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 400g ‘00’ pasta flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 250g pork mince
- 250g beef mince
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 80g feta, cut into 1cm cubes
- To make tomato sauce, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 4 minutes or until softened. Stir in tomatoes, garlic and sugar. Season well with salt and pepper, then bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes or until thickened. Stir in basil, then process in a food processor until smooth. Return to saucepan off the heat.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Sprinkle 2 tsp of parmesan into a circle on prepared tray. Repeat to make 8 circles. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Cool on tray.
- To make pasta, mound sifted flour and salt on a work surface, make a well in the centre and break eggs into it. Using a fork, draw in flour until mixture is thick, then work in remaining flour using your hands. Knead dough for 6 minutes until firm; add extra flour if sticky. Enclose dough in plastic wrap and set aside for 20 minutes to rest.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten 1 portion until 5mm thick and about 12cm wide – nearly the width of your pasta machine. Set your pasta machine at its widest setting, then feed the dough through, narrowing the settings on your machine one notch at a time until you reach the thinnest setting. Pass through a fettuccine cutter, then pace on a tray in a single layer. Repeat with remaining dough.
- To make meatballs, combine all ingredients, except feta, in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then roll tablespoons of mixture into balls around feta cubes.
- Heat oil in large frying pan. Add meatballs and cook, turning, for 4 minutes or until browned all over. Add to sauce and simmer for 6 minutes or until cooked through.
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 3 minutes or until al dente. Drain well.
- Divide pasta among serving plates and top with meatballs and sauce. Serve with parmesan wafers on the side.
- These meatballs would also make great party food served on a cocktail stick with some tzatziki dipping sauce.
- You can cook the parmesan wafers in a frying pan over low heat until crisp, if you like.
- This dish would be great served with a green salad and a Greek-style garlic bread. Combine softened butter with crushed garlic, finely chopped oregano and finely grated lemon zest. Spread over pita rounds and bake until crisp.