Ep 19 Paul and Blair: Cheesy Bacon and Egg Pie with a Rocket Salad
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 long chilli, deseeded, finely chopped
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs white wine vinegar
- 2 tbs raisins
- Salt and pepper, to season
- Olive oil cooking spray, to grease
- 6 slices pancetta
- 400g ricotta, drained
- 60g grated tasty cheese
- 40g feta
- 2 eggs
- 100g baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 50g grated parmesan
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 100g baby rocket leaves
- 24 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and chilli and cook, stirring, for 4 minutes or until softened. Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes or until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- To make pies, preheat oven to 180C. Grease six holes of a Texas muffin pan with oil and line with pancetta. Process all remaining ingredients, except parmesan, in a food processor until just combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide ricotta mixture among prepared holes, then sprinkle over parmesan. Bake for 30 minutes or until set.
- To make salad, whisk oil and vinegar in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine.
- Place pies on serving plates and serve with salad and relish.
- This relish would also be great served with sausages or in a cheese toastie.
- When making the relish, leave the chilli seeds in there if you like a bit of spice.
- Slow cooking over low heat is the key to a great relish – it allows the relish to thicken and reduce, whilst letting the flavours develop, too. If you like a smoky flavour, try adding a little smoked paprika.
- Depending on the size of your pancetta, you may need two or three slices to line each hole.