Ep 17 Will and Steve: Fish & Thrice Cooked Chips, Peas and Liquor
Cook:30 mins (+chilling and 20 mins freezing)
- 1kg potatoes, peeled, cut into chip shapes
- Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- 70g butter
- 30g cornflour
- 600ml hot chicken stock
- ½cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tbs olive oil, plus extra, to drizzle
- 1 eschalot, finely chopped
- ¼cup finely chopped parsley
- ½cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 4 x 200g blue-eye trevalla fillets, skinless
- 300g frozen peas
- 1 tbs finely chopped mint
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Place potato in a saucepan of cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 2 minutes. Drain. Arrange on a cooling rack in a single layer, then refrigerate until cold.
- Fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and heat over medium heat to 180C (or until a cube of bread turns golden in 10 seconds). Working in batches, gently drop chips into the oil and fry, turning halfway, for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Place in freezer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt 50g of the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in cornflour until smooth and combined. Gradually whisk in stock until smooth and combined. Stir in parsley, mustard and lemon juice.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add eschalot and cook until softened. Stir in parsley. Remove from heat, then stir in breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Place fish on prepared baking tray and drizzle with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Divide crumb mixture among tops of fish, patting down to form a crust.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until fish is cooked through and crust is crisp and golden.
- Cook peas in a small saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain. Lightly mash, then stir in remaining butter and mint.
- Deep-fry chips for a further 2-3 minutes or until crisp and golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towel. Season with salt.
- Divide fish among serving plates and serve with chips, peas, sauce and lemon wedges to the side.