Ep 14 Chloe and Kelly: Chicken Confit with Brussels Sprouts, Speck and Mushroom Sauce
Prep: 45mins + standing time
Cook: 4 hours
- 1 small leek, finely chopped
- 250g Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved
- 25g butter
- 120g speck, coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, bruised
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 6 juniper berries, bruised
- 6 peppercorns, bruised
- 4 chicken marylands
- 15g dried mushrooms (e.g. chanterelles, porcini and morels)
- 1tbs olive oil
- 50g butter
- 1 eschallot, finely chopped
- 100g mixed mushrooms (e.g. button, swiss brown, portobello), finely chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tbs chopped fresh sage
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 250ml white wine
- 2 tsp cornflour dissolved in 1 tbs cold water
- 375ml chicken stock
- To confit chicken, melt duck fat in a saucepan over low heat. Add garlic, thyme, berries and peppercorns. Cook over lowest heat possible for 1 hour (do not allow to boil, simmer or bubble). Remove from heat and stand for 1 hour to infuse.
- Preheat oven to 120C.
- Arrange chicken in a small roasting dish in a single layer. Pour over strained duck fat mixture. Cook in the oven for about 2½ -3 hours or until meat is very tender and falling from the bone.
- To make mushroom sauce, place dried mushrooms in a bowl. Cover with warm water. Set aside for 30 minutes. Strain and reserve liquid.
- Heat oil and half the butter in a medium frying pan over medium-low heat. Cook eschallot until soft.
- Add mixed and soaked mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add thyme, sage and garlic. Cook for a further 2 minutes. Add wine and reserved mushroom soaking liquid. Simmer for about 30 minutes or until reduced to 150ml. Add stock and simmer for 15 minutes, stir in cornflour and simmer until thickened slightly. Strain and reserve mushrooms and sauce. Return sauce to same pan over a low heat. Whisk in remaining butter.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Remove chicken from fat and add to pan skin-side down. Cook until skin is golden and crisp. Remove from pan. Add leek. Cook until soft.
- To prepare Brussels sprouts, cook them in a saucepan of boiling salted water until just tender.
- Melt butter in a frying pan over medium heat-low heat. Add speck. Cook until crisp. Stir in sprouts. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken with sprouts, mushrooms, leek and sauce.
- Chicken can be prepared to end of step 3 up to two days in advance. Refrigerate, covered in the confit fat, in an airtight container.
- A chicken maryland is the drumstick with the thigh still attached.
- Juniper berries have a fresh, spicy fragrance and are used to give gin its unique flavour.