Ep 12 Vicky and Celine: Chocolate Baklava Cigars with Salted Caramel Sauce
Prep: 1 hour
Cook: 20 mins
- 100g dark chocolate, chopped
- 30g blanched almonds, chopped, roasted
- 30g pistachios, roasted
- 30g walnuts, roasted
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 220g caster sugar
- 125ml water
- 2 cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 strands saffron
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 125g caster sugar
- 50g butter
- 180ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp salt flakes
- To make filling, process all ingredients until finely chopped.
- Preheat oven to 200C. Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- To assemble cigars, lay one sheet of pastry on work bench (keep remaining sheets covered with a damp tea towel) and brush with butter. Repeat twice. Cut into quarters.
- Place a tablespoon of the filling along one edge of each pastry quarter. Fold in ends and roll up to form a cigar shape. Place cigar seam-side down on prepared tray. Brush with butter.
- Repeat with remaining pastry, filling and butter to make 12 cigars.
- Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- To make syrup, stir all ingredients in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Simmer for about 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Place cigars in a dish in a single layer. Pour over syrup. Stand 5 minutes.
- To make salted caramel sauce, heat a heavy based frying pan over medium heat. Add sugar. Cook, stirring, until sugar dissolves and is golden brown. Reduce heat to low and stir in remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes or until smooth and combined.
- Serve baklava with sauce.