Ep 11 Rose and Josh: Paella
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 30 mins
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 tsp saffron threads
- 60ml olive oil
- 2 chicken thighs, chopped coarsely
- 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, cut into 1cm dice
- 1 small green capsicum, cut into 1cm dice
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 3 tsp sweet paprika
- 200g short grain/calrose/calasparra rice
- 12 medium prawns, shelled, tails on
- 2 calamari tubes, cleaned, cut into 1cm-thick rings
- 1kg mussels, cleaned
- 20 pitted green olives
- Chargrilled capsicum strips, to garnish
- Place stock in a small saucepan. Add saffron. Simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to infuse.
- Combine chicken and 1 tablespoon of the oil in a bowl. Season well.
- Heat a frying or paella pan over high heat. Cook chicken for about 1 minute on each side or until browned all over. Remove and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and heat remaining oil in same pan. Cook onion, capsicum and garlic until soft.
- Stir in paprika. Sprinkle over rice. Pour over stock mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, without stirring, for about 15 minutes or until rice is almost tender.
- Add chicken, prawns, calamari and mussels, pushing them lightly into the rice. Cook, covered, for about 5 minutes or until seafood is almost cooked and mussels are open. Remove from heat and stand for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle paella with olives. Garnish with strips of chargrilled capsicum. Serve with lemon wedges.
- Try adding peas, marinated artichokes or fried chorizo to your paella for a change.
- We made a chicken stock for our paella but you could also make a great shellfish stock using the prawn shells and heads.
- The base of a good paella should be crisp and crunchy (the socarrat), hence no stirring.