Ep 11 Bree and Jessica: Raspberry Mousse Cake with Macerated Berries and Sugar Crusted Almonds
Prep: 60 mins
Cook: 45 mins
- 20g (1/4 cup) flaked almonds
- 40g (1/4 cup) icing sugar
- 250g butter
- 150g dark chocolate
- 2 cups (440g) brown sugar
- 250ml (1 cup) hot water
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 225g (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 35g (1/4 cup) self-raising flour
- 25g (1/4 cup) cocoa
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbs strawberry or raspberry flavoured liqueur
- 2 x 125g punnets fresh raspberries
- 80g (1/2 cup) icing sugar
- 1 and 1/2 tbs lemon juice
- 1 and 1/2 tsp powdered gelatine
- 60ml (1/4 cup) cold water
- 250ml (1 cup) thickened cream
- 8 strawberries, quartered
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 100ml strawberry or raspberry flavoured liqueur
- Pre-heat oven for 160C. Grease a 20cm x 30cm lamington tin. Line base and side with baking paper.
- To make the cake, stir butter, chocolate, sugar, water and extract in a saucepan over medium heat until smooth and combined. Transfer to a large bowl. Cool 10 minutes. Whisk in combined sifted flours and cocoa. Stir in eggs. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Stand 30 minutes then turn out onto a rack to cool.
- To make mousse, blend icing sugar, lemon juice and raspberries until smooth. Strain and discard seeds. Transfer puree to a large bowl.
- In a small saucepan, sprinkle gelatine over cold water. Stand for 1 minute. Stir over low heat until gelatine is completely dissolved. Stir into raspberry mixture. Refrigerate for about 1 hour or until slightly thickened. Beat mixture with an electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Gradually add cream, beating for about 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Line 8 x 7.5cm presentation rings with baking paper or acetate, extending above the top.
- Using one of the rings (without the paper), cut out 8 rounds from the cake. Press cake rounds into lined rings.
- Brush top of each piece of cake with 1 teaspoon of liqueur. Top with mousse (it should be about 3cm high). Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Place almonds on an oven tray in a single layer. Sprinkle with icing sugar. Roast for about 5 minutes or until golden and sugar has melted. Cool.
- To macerate strawberries, place them in a bowl with the sugar and liqueur. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To assemble dish, remove presentation rings from cakes and peel away paper. Decorate with almonds. Serve with macerated strawberries.
- For a lighter dessert, replace the chocolate cake with a chocolate sponge.
- This mousse would also be great as a stand alone dish, topped with some fresh berries.
- Food grade acetate is available online and from specialist cake shops.
- Freeze leftover cake trimmings to make trifle at a later date.