Ep 10 Matt and Rob: Oysters Three Ways
Prep: 30 mins
Cook: 20 mins
- 12 Sydney Rock Oysters, shucked, on half shell
- 1 slice pancetta, cut into 4 strips
Red Wine Vinaigrette
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 eschallot, very finely chopped
- 125ml balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 whole peppercorns, bruised
- 100g butter, chopped
- 100g skinless hazelnuts
- 50g butter, melted
- 40g breadcrumbs
- 1 tbs finely chopped chives
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- To make vinaigrette, combine ingredients in a small bowl.
- To make balsamic reduction, simmer vinegar, cinnamon, bay leaves and peppercorns for 15 minutes or until slightly thickened. Gradually whisk in butter a little at a time until thick and glossy. Strain. Cool.
- To make hazelnut crumb, process nuts to form fine crumbs. Transfer to a bowl and stir in remaining ingredients. Season.
- Remove meat from four of the oysters. Wrap each in a strip of pancetta and place back in shell. Drizzle over a little of the cooled balsamic reduction.
- Drizzle four of the remaining oysters with vinaigrette.
- Top remaining oysters with hazelnut crumb. Cook under a hot grill for 3 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.