Ep 1 Annie and Jason: Goat's Cheese Croquettes with Rocket and Apple Salad and Caramelised Macadamias
- Honey, to drizzle
- 240g goats cheese 2 tbs finely chopped macadamia nuts
- plain flour, for dusting
- 1 large egg, beaten 1 cup panko breadcrumbs peanut or vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 55g (1/4 cup) caster sugar
- 1 tbs water
- ½cup macadamia nuts
- 1 tbs lemon juice 1 tbs olive oil
- 120g baby rocket leaves 1 apple, cut into thick julienne
- To make croquettes, combine cheese and nuts in a bowl. Season. Divide the mixture into eight equal portions. Roll each portion into a croquette shape.
- One at a time, dust each croquette in flour, then dip in egg and finally breadcrumbs.
- Arrange croquettes, untouching, in a single layer on a tray lined with baking paper. Refrigerate, uncovered, for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Meanwhile, to make caramelised macadamias, line a tray with baking paper.
- Stir sugar and water in a small, heavy-based frying pan over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves. Add nuts. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar crystalises and coats nuts. Transfer nuts onto prepared tray in a single layer to cool.
- To make salad, whisk juice and oil in a large bowl. Season. Add rocket and pear. Toss to combine.
- Deep fry croquettes until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Drizzle croquettes with honey. Serve on salad with caramalised macadamias.
- Panko are a type of packaged Japanese breadcrumb which give a super crisp result when deep fried. You can find them in the Asian section of your supermarket.
- Macadamias could also be substituted for walnuts or pecans.
- For a fresh herb flavour, try adding some finely chopped chives or parsley to the goats cheese mixture in step 1.