Carly and Emily: Choc honeycomb cheesecake cones
Choc honeycomb cheesecake cones
Cooking time: 30 mins
Serves: 4 (makes 8 cones)
30g butter, softened
40g icing sugar
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg white
35g plain flour
75g dark chocolate, melted
45g peanuts, toasted, finely chopped
1 tbs water
2 tsp golden syrup
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda, sifted
60ml thickened cream
90g cream cheese
35g caster sugar
90g mascarpone cheese
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. To make tuile cones, preheat oven to 180C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper and draw 4 x 10cm circles on each sheet of paper.
2. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract in a medium bowl with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy, then fold in egg white. Beat in flour until mixture is well combined.
3. Spread heaped teaspoons of batter onto prepared trays, using circles as a guide.4. Bake for 5 minutes or until edges are golden, then, working quickly, remove tuiles from tray and shape into cones. Cool cones completely on a wire rack.
5. Line an oven tray with baking paper. Dip rims of cooled cones in melted chocolate and sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Dip 4 strawberries in same chocolate and then into chopped peanuts. Place cones and strawberries on prepared tray to set.6. To make honeycomb, line an oven tray with baking paper.
7. Place sugar, honey, water and golden syrup in a small saucepan over low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and cook until 154C on a sugar thermometer. Remove from heat and wait for bubbles to subside, then quickly stir through bicarbonate of soda. Pour mixture onto prepared tray to set. Crumble into pieces, then chop ½ cup finely, reserving the rest.
8. To make cheesecake filling, whip cream until soft peaks form. In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until soft and combined. Add mascarpone and vanilla extract, then beat until just combined. Fold in whipped cream and chopped honeycomb.
9. Mash remaining strawberry until smooth. Gradually add enough mashed strawberry to sugar until you have a pink mixture with the texture of coarse sand (you do not want it to be wet).10. Pipe cheesecake filling into cones and top with remaining honeycomb. Serve with choc-dipped strawberries and strawberry sand.
Tips:- As soon as you have mixed the bicarbonate of soda into the honeycomb, the mixture will fizz and froth. Quickly turn it onto the tray and do not over-mix it or it will deflate.
- For a quick dinner party dessert, make your own mini cheesecakes. Crumble granita biscuits into a glass, then top with the cheesecake filling and decorate with your favourite fruit.