Poached Chicken Breast
Poached Chicken Breast with Potato Fondant and Port
Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 50 Minutes
2 small chicken breasts, skin on
1 garlic clove, chopped
Lupi olive oil
3 sprigs thyme
2 large Agria potatoes
Lupi olive oil for frying
salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 cups Campbells Real Stock Chicken
8 shallots, whole
1 tsp honey
Port Mushroom Sauce
2 shallots, finely chopped
4 button mushrooms, finely chopped
1/2 celery stalk, finely chopped
2 1/2 carrots, finely chopped
1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in 1/2 cup water
80ml Anchor cream
25g Mainland butter, diced, chilled
8 button mushrooms, tops sliced off
100g green beans
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Marinate chicken in garlic, olive oil
and 3 sprigs of thyme.
2. Remove chicken skin from chicken breasts. Thread a bamboo skewer through one end of the chicken skin and secure to a wire baking rack with only horizontal bars. Pull the skin across to the other side of the rack so the skin is flat and taut. Secure the skin to the other side of the rack. Place in oven for 20 minutes until golden brown. When cooked carefully remove from the wire rack and cut into a decorative shape.
3. Take the Agria potatoes and cut into a rectangular shape about 4cm high and wide and 8cm long. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a medium sized frying pan over high heat, add a little Lupi olive oil and sear all sides until golden brown. Place potato in small oven dish. Fill oven dish with Campbells Real Stock Chicken up to half the height of the potato. Cover with tin foil and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
4. Take the chicken and wipe off the garlic and thyme. Season with salt and pepper. Heat a large frying pan with a little Lupi olive oil over high heat and sear chicken for 1-2 mins each side until golden. Remove from pan and wrap in two layers of cling film. Place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer then take off the heat, place lid on pot and let sit for 10 minutes.
5. Drizzle Lupi olive oil over whole shallots, season with salt and pepper, then place in hot oven for 30 minutes. Finish shallots by drizzling over the honey and baking for another 5 minutes.
6. Heat a medium sized frying pan over medium heat with a little Lupi olive oil. Add the chopped shallots, chopped mushrooms, celery and carrot. Sweat for five minutes. Add remaining Campbells Real Stock Chicken and reduce to quarter the volume. Strain water from dried mushrooms into pan, putting reconstituted mushrooms to one side and reduce to half the volume. Add reconstituted mushroom and port. Reduce for a further two minutes, add the Anchor cream, and reduce for a further three minutes. To finish sauce, remove from heat and whisk in Mainland butter.
7. Place whole mushrooms on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then place in oven for 10 minutes to cook through.
8. Bring a small saucepan of salted water to the boil, add the beans and cook for four minutes. Strain, then add a little Mainland butter and season with salt.
9. To serve, spoon sauce over bottom of serving dish, place potato in middle and layer beans on top. Top with the chicken breast, and finally, the chicken skin. Place whole mushrooms and shallots around plate, topped with micro sprouts.
Please note - this recipe is untested in the MasterChef kitchen.