MasterClass - Strawberry Cream Pie
Strawberry Cream Pie
Recipe by Natalie Oldfield
250g wine biscuits
190g butter, melted
3 tbsp cocoa
1 tbsp gelatine
½ cup cold water
½ cup boiling water
2 eggs, separated
¾ cup sugar, divided
4 tbsp strawberry powder
175g cream cheese
300ml cream, whipped
Fresh strawberries, to serve
Chocolate shavings, to serve
1. To make the crumb crust, crush the biscuits and cocoa finely. Add the melted butter and mix until well combined. Press over base and sides of 6 individual tart tins. Chill until firm.
2. Soften the gelatine in cold water. Add the boiling water and stir until the gelatine has dissolved. In a separate bowl, beat together the egg yolks and ½ cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add the strawberry powder and mix well. Slowly add the gelatine mixture to the egg yolk mixture and beat until combined. Refrigerate until the consistency of unbeaten egg whites; approximately 10 minutes
3. Beat the cream cheese with the remaining sugar until soft. Gradually add the strawberry mixture until well combined. Whip the egg whites to stiff peaks. Fold the beaten egg whites and whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Pour into crumb crust and refrigerate until set.
4. To serve, remove the tarts from the tins and serve with strawberries and shaved chocolate.
1. Fresh As strawberry powder is available from most good quality specialty food stores.
2. If the crumb from the tarts becomes stuck when removing, use a brulée torch to warm or hold over a low flame to soften the butter in the outside of the shell and the tarts will pop right out.
3. Use boiling water straight from the kettle to melt the gelatine.