Granny's Sponge Cake
Grannys Sponge Cake
Recipe by Natalie Oldfield
¾ cup caster sugar
½ cup hot water
1 tsp vanilla essence
1½ cups plain flour, sifted multiple times
1½ tsp baking powder, sifted multiple times
½ tsp salt
1. Preheat oven to 180°C on BAKE (no fan). Grease and line a 20cm cake tin.
2. Place the eggs in an electric mixer with the whisk attachment on high speed and whisk until very thick. Add the sugar gradually.
3. Reduce the mixer to a slow speed and add the hot water and vanilla essence. Quickly but carefully fold in the dry ingredients.
4. Pour the cake batter into the tin, place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
5. Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cake rack to cool completely. Decorate and finish as desired.