Fresh Chorizo Sausage with Oven Roasted Balsamic Tomato
Recipe by Andy Currin
Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
Cooking Time: 30 Minutes
WINE MATCH: Saints Shiraz
Homemade Smoked Paprika
6 red capsicums (chillies can be added for a hotter paprika), halved and deseeded
Manuka smoking chips
1/2 tbsp Mainland butter
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, diced
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 whole bulb of garlic
Lupi Olive oil for drizzling
500g pork belly, skin removed, fat retained, chilled
200g pork loin, fat retained, chilled
50g pancetta, chilled
Extra pork back fat, if required (total weight of meat should be 30% fat), chilled
1 tbsp good quality apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp cumin seeds, roasted, ground
1 tsp picked thyme leaves
2 tbsp good quality smoked paprika
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Beetroot and Chilli Relish
1 tbsp Lupi Olive oil
1 cup red onion, finely chopped
10 medium beetroot, peeled, finely chopped
200g green apple, grated
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
2-5 red chillies, chopped
6 baby beetroot, cleaned and trimmed
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Lupi Olive oil
6 small tomatoes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp Lupi Olive oil
1 sprig rosemary
1 tbsp Mainland butter
1 shallot, peeled, finely diced
1 small carrot, peeled, finely diced
1 stalk celery, finely diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup white wine
2 cups Sunrice Arborio rice
3 1/2 cups Campbells Real Chicken stock
1/3 cup grated Perfect Italiano parmesan
1 tbsp Mainland butter, for finishing
Zest of 1 lemon
1. To make the smoked paprika, place the capsicums in a kettle
style barbecue or similar and smoke for 2-3 hours over low heat.
Place the smoked peppers in a dehydrator and dry until all moisture
is gone, a few days. Grind in spice grinder.
2. To make the paprika oil, place several table spoons of paprika in good quality Lupi Olive oil for a few days and then strain through muslin cloth to remove paprika. Store in an airtight container or squeezy bottle.
3. Preheat oven to 150C.
4. To make the sausages, place a small saucepan over medium-low heat and melt the Mainland butter. Add the apple and maple syrup and cook for approximately five minutes, or until lightly browned. Take off the heat and chill.
5. Slice off the very top of the garlic bulb so that the cloves are just exposed. Drizzle with Lupi Olive oil, wrap in tin foil and place in the oven to roast for 45 minutes. Once cooled, squeeze the roasted cloves out of the skin and place into the refrigerator to chill.
6. Grind the meats in a mincer on a coarse setting, keeping the pork separate from the pancetta and fat. Regrind 3/4 of the pork on a finer setting. Ensure that all meats are well chilled before grinding to prevent them turning mushy.
7. Mix the minced meats with the apple, roast garlic and remaining ingredients. Use the grinder's sausage attachment to fill the casings and produce sausages approximately 15cm in length.
8. To make the beetroot and chilli relish, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the onion. Sauté until translucent. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well to combine and reduce the heat to low. Cook the mixture for approximately 2 hours, or until the mixture has a jam-like consistency. Allow to cool and store in air-tight jars until ready to use.
9. To cook the beetroot, place the beetroot together on a sheet of tin foil and drizzle with balsamic vinegar, Lupi Olive oil and salt. Wrap tightly and slow roast in oven until tender. Once cooked, peel the beetroot while still warm by rubbing off the skins.
10. To make the risotto, use a small knife to score a cross on the bottom of the tomatoes. Bring a small saucepan of water to a rapid boil and then blanch the tomatoes for 10 seconds. Remove from the water and plunge into iced water then remove the skins. Place the tomatoes on tin foil and drizzle with the balsamic, 1 tbsp of the Lupi Olive oil and add the rosemary. Place in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, discard the rosemary but reserve the tomato juices.
11. Place the Campbells Real Chicken stock in a saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and turn off heat. In a separate saucepan, add the Mainland butter and remaining Lupi Olive oil and place over medium heat. Gently sweat the shallot, carrot and celery for several minutes, then add the garlic and sweat for another two minutes. Add the wine and cook off the alcohol for two minutes. Add the rice and allow to fry for two minutes. Begin to add the heated Campbells Real Chicken stock, one ladle at a time, ensuring that the last ladle has been absorbed before adding more. Add the oven roasted tomatoes and their juices. Add more hot stock until a creamy consistency has been achieved and the rice is cooked al dente. Remove from the heat and finish by stirring through Perfect Italiano parmesan, Mainland butter and lemon zest.
12. To cook the sausages, heat a little Lupi Olive oil in a large frying pan over medium low heat. Add the sausages and cook gently for approximately 15 minutes, watching closely, until cooked through. Once cooked, allow to rest for a few minutes and slice each into several pieces on an angle.
13. To serve place a quenelle of the beetroot relish at the edge of a serving dish. Place the risotto in the centre of the serving dish and top with roasted beetroot. Place the sliced sausages between the relish and risotto. Drizzle over a little of the smoked paprika oil.