Crispy Organic Chicken
Crispy organic chicken breast / potato pancake / red
grape salad / capsicum
Recipe by Volker Marecek
Makes 8 portions
4 organic chickens or 8 chicken breasts, skin on
1 tbsp salt
4 garlic cloves, crushed
3 shallots, diced
2 tsp thyme, chopped
1 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
1 litre chicken jus
1. Preheat oven to 200C. Remove breasts from chickens with skin
intact and set aside. Remove remaining meat portions from carcass
and set aside for other uses. Roast the frames in the oven until
golden brown. Set aside frames to make stock at a future time.
Reserve the juices from the pan, pour off any fat and add the
juices to the jus.
2. In a bowl combine salt, garlic, shallots, thyme and pepper. Toss the chicken breasts in the mixture, place in cling film, transfer to the fridge and let sit.
3. Remove from the fridge, wipe off the marinade, place the chicken in a dry frying pan, skin side down and set over a medium heat. Adjust the heat if necessary so you can hear the chicken sizzling gently. Cook about 10 minutes without turning, the skin should be brown and crisp, but the chicken should be barely cooked through. Turn the breast skin sideup.
4. Place the jus into a pot and set it over medium heat. Reduce by half. Pour the reduction into the pan with the chicken, the jus should reach about 1/3 of the way up the side of the breast.
5. Put the pan into the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes or till the chicken is cooked.
6. To serve, place a potato pancake on a warmed plate. Top with the chicken, skin side up and spoon some of the just over the chicken and around the plate. Finish by topping with the grape salad and placing a quenelle of capsicum marmalade to the side.