Recipe by Jampa Stuart
Preparation time: 25 Minutes
Cooking time: 7 Minutes
1 large aubergine
1 egg, lightly beaten, seasoned with salt
1 cup Homebrand plain flour
3 cups Panko breadcrumbs
1 clove garlic, peeled, bruised with the back of a knife
Canola oil for deep frying
freshly ground black pepper
2 handfuls watercress or salad greens
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 cup thick, unsweetened De Winkel yoghurt
1/2 Lebanese cucumber, finely chopped
2 large mint leaves, finely sliced
1 tsp garlic chives, finely chopped
25g firm Mainland Signature Range Feta
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Slice the aubergine into one inch thick circles. Salt the
slices well on both sides and set aside wrapped in paper towels to
absorb the moisture. Leave for 10-15 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, make the yoghurt sauce by mixing together the De Winkel yoghurt, cucumber, mint and garlic chives in a mixing bowl. Crumble the Mainland Signature Range feta into the sauce and add the lemon juice. Mix well and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. In three separate bowls, place the egg, flour and panko crumbs. Remove the aubergine from the paper towels and wipe the excess salt and moisture away with a fresh paper towel.
4. Rub each side of the aubergine slices with the garlic clove. Dip each slice of aubergine in the flour and shake off the excess. Dip each slice in the beaten egg and ensure an even coating. Finally, dip the aubergine in the breadcrumbs. Once all of the slices have been crumbed, set aside for 10-15 minutes.
5. Place a large frying pan over a medium high heat and pour in a generous amount of canola oil (about a cup). Bring the oil up to 185C and then fry the aubergine in batches on each side for three minutes until golden brown. Remove from the frying pan and set aside to drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.
6. To serve; dress the watercress with lemon juice and place on a serving plate. Top the greens with the fried slices of aubergine and drizzle over a little of the yoghurt sauce. Place a ramekin of extra sauce on the side.
Please note - this recipe is untested in the MasterChef