Yellow fin tuna
Yellow Fin Tuna with Shitake Puree
Recipe by Josh Emett
Reserved heads of enoki mushrooms
100mls Chardonnay vinegar
50ml rice wine vinegar
50g Homebrand Sugar
1kg Yellow fin tuna, centre cut
30mls yuzu juice
60mls soy sauce
30mls Lupi Olive oil
75g Mainland butter
3 shallots, peeled, finely sliced
200g shitake mushrooms, finely sliced
2 bunches enoki mushrooms, stalks only, finely sliced, 5mm heads reserved for pickle
80ml soy sauce
100ml Anchor thickened cream
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 small daikon, peeled, cut into 2mm dice
2 tbsp of marmalade
2 tbsp finely chopped chives
4 breakfast radishes, finely sliced
30 pieces micro coriander
30 pieces micro red chard
1 tsp Togarashi spice
1. To make the pickled enoki, place the chardonnay vinegar, rice
wine vinegar, Homebrand sugar and water in a small saucepan and
bring to the boil. Take off the heat and cool. Add the reserved
enoki heads and let pickle for at least 2 hours.
2. Cut tuna into 4cm square logs. Place a grill pan over high heat and sear the tuna for 30 seconds on each side. Alternatively, grill on a barbeque or hot plate. Chill the tuna, then slice into 4mm pieces. Combine the yuzu, soy and Lupi Olive oil and pour this over the tuna to marinate.
3. To make the shitake puree, heat a small saucepan over medium heat, add the Mainland butter and cook the shallots until soft. Add the shitake and enoki mushrooms and cook until the mushrooms start to slightly caramelize, about five minutes. Add mirin and soy sauce and reduce to glaze. Add Anchor cream to finish then place mix in a blender. Blend until smooth, taste, and season as necessary.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine the daikon with the marmalade and chopped chives.
5. To serve, place small spoonfuls of shitake puree around a serving plate. Top these with the marinated tuna. Place picked enoki mushrooms and daikon around the plate. Top with sliced radish, micro coriander, red chard and a sprinkle of Togarashi spice.
Choose and ask for the centre cut of Tuna as it has less sinew.
Rub oil on tuna and place in dry pan to get well charred.
Use all stalks from mushrooms to make mushroom puree.
Use scissors to snip even tips of Enoki mushroom bunches.