Roast rabbit with creamy fennel sauce and char grilled capsicum and potato stack
Roast rabbit with creamy fennel sauce and char grilled
capsicum and potato stack
Recipe by Trevor Forster
Tested by Debbie Dalgliesh
1 Red Capsicum
1 Whole rabbit
2 Garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 Onion, sliced
8 Sage leaves
1 Rosemary sprig, leaves only
1 Potato, peeled and finely sliced
1 Fennel, topped and finely sliced
1/2 cup Cream
1/2 Lemon, juiced
1. Pre heat the oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Place the whole red pepper onto the flame and allow to char, turning occasionally to blister the skin all over. Peel the skin from capsicum, deseed and slice.
3. Cut the loin from the rabbit, remove the kidneys and set aside. Place the garlic, onion, sage and rosemary on the loin and roll, place in a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, set a side to marinade.
4. Heat an oiled frying pan over a medium heat, sauté the potato and season.
5. Place the loin in a roasting tray and roast for 30-40 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
6. Place a ring mould on an oven tray layer, fill with alternate layers of roast capsicum and potato, drizzle with olive oil and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
7. For the sauce, Heat an oiled saucepan over a medium heat, add the anchovies and stir to break down, add the fennel and sauté until tender, add the cream and simmer for a few minutes to lightly reduce, finish with lemon juice.
8. Heat an oiled frypan over medium heat and lightly fry the kidneys.
9. Place slices of rabbit on serving plate, place the ring mould of vegetables to the side and carefully remove the mould, top with grilled kidneys, spoon the creamy fennel sauce over the rabbit to serve.