Episode 6 - Chilli Cocoa Panna Cotta
Guilty Pleasures Invention Test
Chilli Cocoa Panna Cotta with raspberry curd, raspberry sorbet and chocolate puffed millet
Chilli Cocoa Panna Cotta
3.5 grams gelatine leaves
300 ml thickened cream
40 grams caster sugar
30 grams cocoa powder
teaspoon chilli powder
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup caster sugar
250g raspberries, blended until smooth
2 tablespoons lemon juice
60 grams butter
55 grams caster sugar
50 grams raspberries, blended until smooth
Chocolate Puffed Millet
35 ml thickened cream
25 g dark chocolate
25 grams caster sugar
10 grams butter
15 grams puffed millet
25 grams pistachios, roughly chopped
salt to taste
cup caster sugar
1 red chilli, seeded
freeze dried raspberries
- For the panna cotta, place the gelatine leaves into a small bowl and cover with cold water. Soak for 5 minutes until softened.
- Place the cream, cocoa, sugar and chilli powder in a saucepan. Whisk to combine and bring to the boil over medium heat. Remove from the heat, squeeze excess water from the gelatine leaves and whisk into the cream mixture.
- Strain the mix through a sieve and divide amongst 4 x 1/2 cup capacity moulds. Place in fridge to set.
- For the raspberry sorbet, place the water and caster sugar in a pan. Heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Stir through raspberry puree and lemon juice. Strain the mixture and chill completely before churning in an ice cream machine.
- For the raspberry curd, place butter, sugar and raspberry puree in a bowl and place over a pan of lightly simmering water. Whisk until melted and combined.
- Remove bowl from heat then whisk in the egg. Return the bowl to the pan of simmering water and whisk constantly until the curd is thickened. Refrigerate.
- For the chocolate puffed millet, place millet and pistachios on a paper lined baking tray and toast in oven for 7-8 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Place the cream into a pan and heat over medium high heat and bring to a boil. Pour over chocolate and stir until melted and smooth. Add sugar to a small frypan and cook over medium high heat, stirring until golden. Whisk in the butter and salt to taste. Stir through millet and pistachios until coated. Stir through ganache to coat. Roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper and pace in fridge to set. Once set, break into pieces.
- For the candied chilli, place the sugar and water in a pan and heat over medium high heat until the sugar has dissolved. Finely slice the red chilli and add to the sugar syrup. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove chilli from syrup and cool.
- To serve, unmould the panna cotta into the centre of a plate. Surround with raspberry curd and top with chocolate puffed millet pieces. Add candied chilli and quenelle of sorbet. Sprinkle with freeze dried raspberries.