Episode 56 - Cauliflower Miso Cream, Pickled Cauliflower Stem
Cauliflower miso cream, pickled cauliflower stem, in spec and oyster mushrooms
1 whole cauliflower
Cauliflower miso cream
2 tbsp butter
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 shallot, finely chopped
cauliflower florets (from above)
1 cup milk
1 tbsp miso paste
1/4 tsp white vinegar
salt, to taste
125 ml rice wine vinegar
65 ml mirin
cauliflower stem (from above)
nutmeg, freshly grated, to taste
1 tbsp butter
100g oyster mushrooms
cauliflower slices (from above)
4 slices (60 grams) spec, chopped
40g dried porcini mushrooms
cauliflower crumb (from above)
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Prepare the cauliflower by cutting off the stem and slicing stem thinly using a mandolin. Set aside. Cut cauliflower head in half. Cut one half into small florets. Set aside. Divide remaining half into thirds. Process one third in a food processor until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Set aside. Cut remaining 2/3 cauliflower into 1cm thick slices. Reserve leaves for garnish.
- For the miso cream, heat butter in a large frypan over medium heat. Cook the garlic and shallot until soft, about 5 minutes. Add cauliflower florets and milk and simmer until cauliflower is tender. Strain cauliflower, reserving liquid, and transfer to a food processor. Process with some reserved cooking liquid until a smooth puree. Add miso and season to taste with vinegar and salt. Set aside.
- For the pickled stem, boil the rice wine vinegar and mirin then pour over the stems. Season with salt and nutmeg and set aside.
- For the mushrooms, melt remaining butter in frypan and add the mushrooms. Cook until caramelised. Deglaze pan with 65ml verjuice. Season, then remove from the pan and set aside, keeping warm.
- In the same pan, add cauliflower slices and caramelise well. Deglaze with remaining 60ml verjuice, season and set aside, keeping warm. Reserve pan juices.
- For the crumb, place spec, porcini and cauliflower crumb onto a paper lined baking tray and roast in oven until lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and process to a coarse crumb. Set aside.
- To serve, spoon miso puree onto serving plates. Arrange cauliflower slices on top, followed by spec crumb then drained pickled cauliflower. Finish with more crumbs then mushrooms. Scatter leaves around plate and drizzle with reserved pan juices.