Episode 55 - Chocolate with Orange and Rosemary
Chocolate with Orange and Rosemary
215gm 53% chocolate, broken into pieces
1 leaf gold gelatine, softened in iced water
2 sprigs rosemary, crushed
3 egg yolks
50gm almond meal
15gm cocoa powder
100ml orange juice
1.5gm citric acid
100gm 53% coverture chocolate
1/2 tsp bi-carb soda
- Preheat oven to 165C.
- To make the ganache, place cream, glucose and agar in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from heat, add chocolate and gelatine and stir until melted and combined. Pour into a 15cm square, paper lined tin and set aside in the fridge to set.
- To make the ice cream, place milk, cream and rosemary in a saucepan and heat to just below boiling. Meanwhile, place egg yolks and sugar in a bowl and whisk to combine. While whisking, slowly add hot cream mixture until incorporated. Strain mixture then cool down over an ice bath, then churn in an ice cream machine. Set aside in the freezer.
- To make the soil, place almond meal, butter, flour and cocoa powder in a food processor and process until fine crumb. Transfer to a tray and place in the oven to bake until golden. Remove from oven, add sugar and toss to combine. Set aside.
- To make the jelly, place orange juice, sugar and gellan in a saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Allow to boil for 15 seconds, add citric acid and remove from heat. Pour into a shallow tray and place in the fridge to set. Finely chop and set aside.
- To temper the chocolate, place chocolate in a bowl and place over a saucepan of gently simmering water to melt. Heat chocolate to 40C then turn out onto a clean, dry surface. Work chocolate until it thickens then return to the bowl and reheat over simmering water, again, until temperature reaches 30C. Pour tempered chocolate onto acetate. Break into shards and set aside.
- To make the honeycomb, place honey, glucose and sugar in a saucepan and set over high heat. Cook until mixture reaches 166C. remove from heat and allow to settle Add bi-carb soda and whisk through quickly to combine. Immediately pour onto a silpat mat and once cooled, break into pieces. Set aside.
- To assemble, cut ganache into rounds using a 7.5cm cutter and place a round in the centre of each serving plate. Use a 1.5cm cutter to cut out and remove a smaller round from the centre. Fill the middle with cubed jelly, soil and a spread of ganache. Garnish with tempered chocolate shards, honeycomb, mint, rosemary and fennel fronds. Serve with ice cream.